40th Congress of the European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO 2021)
Lieu: Lisbon, Portugal
Lieu: Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome Word from the ESSO PresidentDear Colleagues,
It is withgreat pleasure we invite you to participate in the 40th Congress of the European Society of Surgical Oncology, held from 8 -10 November 2021 in Lisbon, Portugal.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we could not meet in person last year. The progress of the vaccination and the upcoming EU Digital Covid Certificate has given us the confidence to host our congress in-person. We are impatient and excited to see you again, other than through a screen and to offer you the opportunity to interact with keynote speakers or network with peers in real life, to feel the atmosphere of a live meeting again and enjoy a city with a rich and diverse cultural heritage.
This year’s theme “Shaping the future of Cancer Care” will include a first-class panel of speakers presenting the latest developments, trends, and innovative techniques in the management of patients with solid tumours.
Recognizing the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to cancer patient care, the Scientific Committee has invited leading experts from different disciplines and sub-disciplines. You will get the opportunity to attend sessions on Artificial intelligence, immunotherapy, women in surgery and advances in surgical oncology. We are also honoured to host a session by the Anticancer Fund on clinical research in surgical oncology.
But wait, there is more!
We are celebrating the return of live educational activities with:
- the popular Dragon’s Den session during which selected authors will be able to pitch their surgical trial proposal to a panel of experts;
- educational workshops in breast and in colorectal cancer surgery as part of the congress scientific programme;
- a case discussion workshop on peritoneal surface malignancies;
- courses on liver cancer surgery and pancreatic cancer, organised in parallel with the congress scientific programme.
ESSO President &ESSO 40 Scientific Chair
The European Society of Surgical Oncology, ESSO, was established in 1981 to support its members in advancing the science and practice of surgical oncology for the benefit of cancer patients.
Esso looking forward to welcoming you to the ESSO 40 in Lisboa, Portugal!
What is ESSO?
ESSO performs a range of activities:
- Organising the biggest congress in surgical oncology in Europe
- Unifying the surgical oncology community in a network of over 20,000 members (individuals and corporate)
- Providing education and training to both young and experienced surgeons through courses and e-learning activities
- Publishing a monthly scientific Journal (EJSO-the Journal of Cancer Surgery)
- Partnering in projects and courses with other discipline and organ-based societies within ECCO-the European CanCer Organisation
- Contributing to the development of the surgical oncology programme of the European Cancer Congress
- Providing an attractive fellowship programme facilitating exchange of knowledge and continuing medical education
- Offering specific opportunities for young cancer surgeons and cancer surgeons from developing countries to attend the ESSO Congress
- Organising yearly, in co-operation with the European Board of Surgery, an examination in surgical oncology and in breast cancer surgery certifying the competence necessary for the treatment of cancer patients
- Informing on educational and scientific opportunities via its newsletter and website
- Supporting quality assurance projects towards the improvement of cancer care for all patients in Europe